Friday, July 30, 2010

Right On or is it Write On?

It was only a few years ago that I began calling myself a writer even though writing has always been a big part of my life.  I mean I have been written up, written about, written off, written to, written on, written back, just to name a few.  The ironic thing about me being a writer is that my handwriting is so bad.  My penmanship is horrible.  I would have made a great doctor. Even I can't read it.  


 What saved me happened by accident.  In 1959 as a junior in high school, my best friend and I took typing class on a lark.  We were the only guys in the class.  It was great.  That is why we took it.  We were the only guys in the class.

I think what I like about writing is that I am facinated by words.  I love how words and phrases come and go in our culture.  One of my favorite words is Cool.  I've used it forever.  It is an effortless word to say and fits in any conversation.  Just change the tone or inflection to fit the situation.  The word Sweet sorta took its place a few years ago but thankfully did not  last.  I still hear it occasionally but not like in it's heyday.

Right On and Far Out had pretty good runs too.  I use to say Right Off and Far On just to see if anyone noticed but they didn't.  But then again alot of people don't notice what I say.  Heavy is another word that thankfully has gone back to simply describing weight.  I'm not sure where Dude came from but I don't hear it as much anymore and it seems to stay within a certain age group. I have to admit I am partial to Dudette.

Between texting, email, IMs and blogging, oral conversation in the world is pretty much becoming limited to the jerks who always sit behind me at the movies.

I have a two more good reads to recommend.. They are two really well written spy novels.   The Faithful Spy  by Alex Berenson.   and Critical Space by Greg Rucka 



Stay tuned for future adventures.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment