Monday, August 2, 2010

Just Clowning Around

National Clown week always brings back memories.  When I was little, I ran away from the circus and joined a family.

I actually don't like clowns.  I don't find them funny and I think they are creepy, however, I have to admit to being the class clown most of high school.  It's not as easy a job as you might think.  I hated wearing that big red nose and those giant shoes were really a drag when it came to getting around in a crowed hallway.  Plus nobody ever wanted to ride in my car because it was too little. 


In my day, the world famous clowns were Clairabell, Bozo and Emmit Kelly.  Now they are Rush Slimeball, Bill O'Really, and Glen(I-can-cry-on-cue)Beck. I will say they do remind me of the old guys, they're not funny either; just creepy. 

I never was in a circus but through the years I have certainly  had to work with a number clowns.  The art of clowning goes back to 2500BC.  Through out history most cultures have had clowns.  Today we refer to them as Congress.  I hear Judy Collins in the background which means its time for me to go put on my make up and fill up my squirting flower.

Here is a good read for you to check out.  L.A. Outlaws by T. Jefferson Parker.  Parker is one the best crime writers I've come across lately.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for always making me laugh. Especially when you ride around on that little scooter up and down the aisles in Wal-Mart.

    ReplyDelete