Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Big Bird Day

Well are almost to that special day of year when we get together with family and friends and gather in a circle holding hands. It’s a time to have a song in our heart and be light on our feet and it’s coming up this week  I’m talking National Square Dance Day.  We can swing our partners and “Dosado” til our hearts are content. It’s "Allemande Left” and “To hell with the right,”  plus it’s great exercise and fun for the whole family.  Remember the family that square dances together, sashays together.  It is the one time in your life that you can be there and be square.

Of course there is another special day coming up this week.  It’s Black Friday.  I just learned Friday after Thanksgiving is called Black Friday because it is the biggest shopping day of the year.  Wow, I always thought it was called that because after a horrible, awkward, sit-down dinner with your extremely dysfunctional family, you'd spent the next 12 hours slamming down tequila shots and beer backs.

In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and the Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies.  This is so weird because my first recollection of Thanksgiving is when I was either 16 or 21, (I’m not sure) and waking up in the back seat of a Plymouth with my girl friend Wampanoag after a night of  slamming corn mash whiskey and listening to the Cleveland Indians on the radio.

I thought now would be a good time to start thinking about all those things that I am thankful for.


1.  I am not a turkey or a pig. (I always thought it was better to eat than be eaten.)

2.  I am not the Mayor of Toronto.

3.  I am not a member of any political party or religious organization.

4. I am not the coach of the Houston Texans.

5. I am not related to Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Gregg Abbott, Rick Perry or any of the Kardashians.



                    But mostly I’m thankful that I get to sleep till noon a lot. 



Stay tuned for future adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment