Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Going Postal


I got a little Christmas present in the mail.  It was a survey sent out by the postal system.  Now first of all, I think the postal system overall does a decent job.  I know some people who work for the post office and they are good people.  When you compare the prices on sending a letter, it is still one of the cheapest things going, which is why they lose billions of dollars every year.  

A lot of people, including myself, thought the post office had a motto.  You know the one about rain and snow and all of that stuff.  The original saying was actually "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" and was said about 2500 years ago by the Greek historian, Herodotus. He said this adage during the war between the Greeks and Persians about 500 B.C. in reference to the Persian mounted postal couriers whom he observed and held in high esteem.

The actual U.S. Postal System motto is “Sorry, I’m off duty..”

So I’m not here to rant about the postal system, I’m here to bitch about my postman.  We have lived at the same address for over nine years and this jerk still can’t get the mail right.  About twice or more a month someone will call and say, “Did ya’ll move?  I got your letter back.”  Nope, same address. Don’t know what that’s about?  We still get mail for everybody who has ever lived at this address.  At least once a week, I get my neighbors mail or he gets ours.

My wife and I won’t order anything online unless we can’t get it anywhere else and then we have it sent to a friend’s house because the post office has lost so much stuff over the past few years. 

So I just filled out my survey and told the fine folks at the postal system what I thought of the mailman on my route.  I think it may be a part time job for him as he only shows up about four days a week and is obviously hitting the booze on the days that he does make it by.

 I’m not sure if he keeps the mail for himself, just loses it or is an idiot.  It could be all of the above.  I also know I’m not the only one in the neighborhood who thinks this guy is a jerk.  Every dog in a three block area hates him.

I am pretty sure my survey, if it gets delivered won’t have any impact or will make things worse (ha, I don’t think it can get any worse) but at least I got tell them what I think of my part-time mailman.

Also I want to tell you that my novel SURGE is now available on Kindle http://amzn.to/g9J3Qh


Stay tuned for future adventures and look for more Sleeps Til Noon at www.hotslop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment