Monday, December 14, 2015

Jingle Bell Blahs




 I am out of pocket today so I thought I would throw a rerun at you.  I wrote this a few years back and it seems to work just as well in 2015.

Well Hanukkah is over so at least no more Hanukkah music.  Now if I can manage to get through the next few weeks of Christmas music and television shows with my sanity intact, I will have survived yet another Holiday season.

This is not as easy a task as it sounds since every radio station in the United States will be playing Xmas music 24/7 and there will be a continuous stream of worn out Christmas programs.  When I say worn out, I do mean worn out.  How many years have we been watching “Rudolf, the Red Nose Raindeer”, “Charley Brown’s Christmas”, “Frosty The Snowman” or “The Ginch Who Stole Christmas” and etc?  My point is, here we are in the midst of High Definition and 3-D TV and the networks are running 40 year old animation at us.  Are they that greedy that they can’t come up with something new?

Probably the main reason I’m really into the “Bah Humbug” this year is that my wife and I discovered a beautiful 350 year old village in Mexico called San Miguel de Allende a number of years ago and began spending the last couple of weeks of the year down there.  It is located in the mountains of central Mexico about 2 hours north of Mexico City.  Only in the last couple of years did we even see a Christmas tree or any hint of the yule tide greetings.

It is a small, lovely laid back place that is an absolute paradise for writers and artist, which we both can qualify.  We have dreamed of moving there, at least part time for quite a while.  We are not going this year because the drug cartels decided to have a war.  Being the peaceniks that we are, we're staying as far away from it as possible. Even though San Miguel has no problems, getting there and back is not something we care to chance at this time.

So here we are surrounded by tra-la-la’s, jingle this and buy that, until we could puke.  Christmas does not have a significant religious tie to us and the over-commercialization by the retail world is very offensive. The advertising world insists through guilt and manipulation that we should show that love with large quantities of gifts.  I say, for that much togetherness we need large quantities of alcohol.   

I know we must both sound like Mr. and Mrs. Scrooge but we really are nice folks who just get over-whelmed with the season (in fact we just can’t find a reason for the season) and this year we aren’t getting to make our escape.  Bah Humbug……..



Stay tuned for future adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment