Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bowled Over



Another Bowl season has come and gone and without my participation. There were too many to choose from, so I chose none. When I was growing up there was only four major college bowl games and a few minor ones. The Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl. And that is what they were called The Rose Bowl, The Cotton Bowl, etc, not the Citi-Rose Bowl or AT&T Cotton Bowl and so on.

I understand there is a lot of money to be had in selling the sponsorship to a bowl game but there are a lot companies that could be perfect sponsors as opposed to what’s happening now. It should be The Tropicana Orange Bowl, Haines Cotton Bowl and Imperial Pure Cane Sugar Bowl to name a few. I am surprised that we don’t have The Campbell Soup Bowl or The Tidy Bow. Oh well, maybe next year.

Also the number of college bowl games has increased quite a bit. I believe there were approximately 213 this year. That seems a tad much. I had never heard of a number of these bowls or the schools playing in them. There was a bowl featuring the Mississippi Police Academy vs the Sarasota Clown College. That seemed like a pretty good match up to me.

There was a bowl featuring the Smithville Correspondence School. I figured that would be a bore. I mean if anybody was going to just mail it in, it would be this bunch. There was a bowl with the Gatesville Reform School vs the Monet School of Art. This sounded like it could get ugly fast. Also a bowl featuring the Mrs. Tate’s Finishing School vs Houston Beauty College didn’t strike me as a slug fest. Another good match up was a North Carolina Law School vs Palin’s School of Dance.

Of course now we have the 45th Super Bowl coming up in Dallas. Out of the 44 previous Super Bowls, I think there may have been one or two you could call Super and about four or five that you might say were really good. Maybe they should rethink the name.



And now for something completely different…….


Did you read about the 36 year old woman who flew across the country to have sex with a 13 year old boy? How does that happen? When I was 13, I couldn’t get a girl to walk across the street to say hello if I had hundred dollar bills taped to my body.


Swarms of birds falling out of the sky does not mean the end of the world….. Well it does for the birds….


Today's good read is Specific Impulse
by Charles Justiz. This is a Sci-fi thriller in the Michael Creighton mode.



Stay tuned for future adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment