Wednesday, March 30, 2011

An Old Weird Rod Story


Some of my fondest memories in my radio career are from the three years I spent at KONO Radio, a top-forty format in San Antonio when personality radio was in its hey-day.  I came to work at KONO in the summer of 1969 and left in the fall of 1972.

I became very good friends with B. Bailey Brown who was doing afternoon-drive. At some point B. began calling me Ole Weird Rod because I did a lot of goofy things on the air, used a lot of drop-ins and pretty well bent the format as far as I could.  Before long everyone was calling me Ole Weird Rod, including myself.  I think I truly did some funny stuff on the air but the funniest thing that ever happened at the station was actually off the air.

I was doing the 9 til-midnight shift.  Back then we had a live newsman until midnight. The station had gone through a number of newsmen in the period of a year.  Every time they hired a new guy my main goal was to try to break them up on the air at least once.  My latest newsman was Rudy Rocha and I had been trying to crack him up for a couple weeks without success.  One night after Rudy had started into the news I had gone for a bathroom break.  Till this day I still have no idea what possessed me to do this but I took off my shirt and wrapped myself from the waist to the top of my head with toilet paper.

I knew Rudy was getting close to ending his newscast so I slipped back into the control room.  The door to the control room was at the back of the room so I could step into it unseen until the last moment.  There was a large window on the right of the control room that looked into the news room and a second large window on the left side that looked into the KITY control room which at that time played classical music and was the only thing that Jack Roth, the owner, ever listened to.

 At the end of the newscast, Rudy would give the temp and time and I would hit my jock intro to start the next hour.  Rudy would then have about thirty seconds to get ready to repeat the news on KITY at the top of hour.  As Rudy gave the temp and time I lurched out of my hiding place toward the control board and hit my jock intro to start my record. 
    
Rudy looked up and went into hysterics, falling forward and out of his chair.  The jock on KITY, some student who had been tracking classical music and studying his college books, automatically flipped on the news pot and heard nothing but laughter.  He stared big-eyed into the newsroom with a shocked look on his face. Rudy was still cracking up and I was thinking that this was the funniest stunt I had ever pulled.

What I didn’t realize was that Jocky John Steel, who followed me at midnight, had been over at the Channel 12 Television Studios next door visiting and had brought a couple of executives from ABC in New York to tour the radio stations.  They had evidently walked up about the time I had started all of this.  As I turned around, I saw two men in suits who were gawking at me in all of my toilet paper glory.

At that point Jocky John Steel deadpanned, “And this is Ole Weird Rod.”


Today's good read is Dead Air by Bill Young.  Very well done and a must read for anyone who has ever been in radio.

Stay tuned for future adventures.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Man, that is hilarious Rod. I remember when I worked at KAND in Corsicana 7p to Midnight under the name of Rob Kelly. We had a Cable installed camera and monitor in the control room where people could watch you on Cable TV. It always made me so self conscious. So I would go in and put my high school letterman jacket over the camera, Lock the doors and start my show. I would get a call from Mr Parker, the owner, who would say "Rob, what is wrong with the camera?" I'd say it looked fine to me. He would then send out the cable repairman to check it out..I did this three times in one night..I don't know what the cost of the repairman coming out at night to check out the camera was, but I am sure, somehow it came out of the paltry $150 a week I made at the time. Oh What memories...Thanks for sharing this story and touching the old brain deposit in my bank of memories..it is always good to look back, remember and laugh.

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my radio life in Nacogdoches at KJCS/KEEE... and we had one of the similar setups... an AM studio and an FM Studio with a news room between... big glass windows so you could see all the way through. I've seen our news guy standing in his chair and spinning around naked... at least from the waist down.. I never noticed if he had a shirt on... And one night several of us snuck a former employee into the building... he laid down on the floor with a live mic in his hand... We then went into the AM studio where on of our favorite jocks was working and distracted him long enough to put the newsroom mic live on the air... Bob (the guy on the floor) stayed quiet until Roy opened his mic and started talking.. then out of nowhere here came this voice talking to him... He lost it on the air. Of course we recorded it and I still have the audio.. very funny stuff even after we grew up and some sobered up..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. That's a good one Kevin.

    ReplyDelete