Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Some Things Never Change.


Once of the best books I have read in a long time is The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I recently saw the movie which was also outstanding.  It was set in Mississippi in the early sixties and is a great example of bigotry and prejudice that was the norm of that time period.  All I could think was what a terrible place to live.  It made me wonder what Mississippi was like today so I did a little research.

First of all it is the reddest most conservative state in the United States where the Republicans totally rule. The Governor of Mississippi, Haley Barbour, is one of the darlings of the GOP. This is how they stack up with the rest of the country. They are dead last in median household income and fourth in per capita federal aid.  They are number one in the most people living under the poverty line and first in the percentage of its Medicaid program that is funded by the federal matching funds.

According to America’s Health Rankings, they have the worse quality of health care, but they are number one in teen pregnancies and gun deaths in the United States.  Oh, their unemployment is at 10.3 % now and they have the worst rates of mortgage delinquency in the 50 states. 
My conclusion is not much has changed in Mississippi.

M I S S I S S I P P I

Many Inane Stupid Shitheads Inbreeding Similar Shitheads Incessantly Promoting Permanent Ignorance.
  

Newton Leroy (I don’t live in Washington D.C., I just do business there) Gingrich said today that he is not a lobbyist.  He is just a citizen who happens to make millions of dollars influencing Congress.   For all the latest political stuff check out Juanita, I can’t say it better.




Stay tuned for future adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment