Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Gratitude

I had a great gratitude check this week. My biggest passion next to writing is music. I am working on a demo with one of the bands that my partner and I manage. The studio we are working in is on the other side of town from me and so I've been taking the toll road which I very seldom use. So about the sixth trip, something dawned on me as I was pulling away from the toll booth. Since I don't use the toll roads very much, I don't have an E-Z tag on my window where you can fly through almost as fast as the money is sucked out of your bank account, I had to stop each time and pay the toll.

No matter what time it was or how crappy the weather was, and it has been very crappy lately, the person in the toll booth always had a smile and said something nice to me. I found that amazing only because to me that would be a really horrible job which brings me around to my gratitude check Yes I am very glad I don't work in a toll booth, but what came to mind was how lucky I've been to spend most of my life doing things I really love to do.

I have done a lot of things in my life but have had very few jobs. Being on the radio, producing or promoting music, writing screenplays and novels has never felt like a job. I've had jobs and I know what that feels like. Dreading getting up, not wanting to be there and being fairly miserable when I was.

Gratitude checks are great and I'm hoping someday they will be as habit forming as some of my vices.

No comments:

Post a Comment