Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Tiny Bubbles From My Soapbox




I haven’t said anything about the terrible stuff going on in Ferguson because it is uncomfortable to talk about, but I think that is one of the big problems with this whole situation because it is so awkward to discuss racial issues and because conversations become heated quickly.

For many years when I would read about police incidents like this, I wrote it off as a few bad apples in the police dept.  Now I have come to think there are a few good apples and plenty of bad ones. I believe this because I truly think being a policeman is one of the most difficult and hardest jobs there is.  It takes a really special person, one who can control his emotions in stressful times and someone who has lots of compassion and common sense. Unfortunately there are few people who have the right qualities for this kind of job. I know I don’t.

So what we have are people who are the least likely to do the right job being the ones most attracted to the job: asshole bullies, of which most are racist. They love to be policemen where they can legally bully and feel that they are above the law.

I believe this is much the same scenario of why we have so few good politicians.  I’m gonna take my soapbox and go back to bed now.      



Stay tuned for future adventures.   

1 comment:

  1. I love your take on this. Having worked with police as a journalist I can tell you you are 75% spot on. I also believe police are often people who easily could have pursued a life of crime sometimes. As a woman I was most disgusted by how many male police do not understand women and were offended by equal rights for women or Black people. Living in a small town, it is clear some of our policemen were considered a liability in a metro area due to their very real and profoundly disturbing “quirks”.

    ReplyDelete